Thursday, February 05, 2004

Last Notes From the Southern Hemisphere

"Where are you going?" My answer was simply, "Home." When people asked me where I was from, I always answered with a proud and emphatic, "Texas." (with an added twang if I felt like messing with 'em) This time, Texas was an afterthought. I was headed Home.

Home to my truck. Home to my ranch. (I know you were wondering...The answer is yes, you can get more stereotypically Texan than owning a truck and living on a ranch.) Home to chicken fried steaks, Whataburger, and free local phone calls.

Home to real lemonade, Eggo waffles, and Totino's Pizzas. The mass of $2 coins jingling in my pockets is replaced by $1 bills folded neatly in my wallet. I'm returning to Chevrolets, Ford F-150's, and Cadillacs, never to see another Holden.

I can now go buy something at 10 PM at most places in town instead of having to wait for Sydney's famous "Late Night Shopping" on Thursday's when stores stay open until 9 PM!!! I may never have Gelato at Circular Quay, but I do miss Amy's Ice Cream and Blizzard's from Dairy Queen. (Brief aside: Have you notice how expensive Blizzard's are? I remember when they were 99 cents! I am getting old...)

I am thankfully leaving behind fried rice balls (which I am fairly certain are entirely a creation of this little, overpriced Mexican restaurant in Sydney) and coming back to my Mom's homemade tortillas and Chuy's chips and Chuychangas.

Did I mention I also got an extra day? Well not really. I never got a July 10th, so whoever it is that took it decided to give me two December 9ths. Quite an odd thing really. I'm just glad my birthday wasn't on the July 10th. How much would that suck?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home