Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Spring Break...Next stop, final exams...

Time continues to pass at break-neck speed. My spring break was mostly boring, with two major events serving as bookends. The first weekend was Wrestlemania XX. Before you laugh, pause to consider this--that's 20 years, people! It was 4 hours from Madison Square Garden, most of which was entertaining. The best part was that Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit walked away with their respective heavyweight titles. For the uninitiated, those two have been in the biz for years, wrestling literally all over the world, and have never gotten the credit they deserve. Maybe one of these days I'll inform y'all on why you should respect what wrestlers do.

The other major event was the wedding of two very good friends of mine, Erin and Tim. OK, so that is probably a little more important than Wrestlemania. It was really beautiful. I was really honored to be a groomsman. Imagine what it means to tell a person that you want them standing next to you on the most important day of your life...and I got to wear a tux. That's always cool.

North Carolina was a pretty place. I was reminded I was in the heart of tobacco country when I walked into the terminal at the airport and it smelled like cigarettes. Then I got in my rental car, and the radio was set to a NASCAR race. I didn't know it was possible to cover NASCAR on the radio (Announcer: The field turns left...now the leaders are going straight...WHOA! A left turn...), but apparently it is.

On the plane, I sat next to a woman who was an accountant from New Zealand who, after taking a 2-year contract job in the Bahamas, met her future husband and has been in the Bahamas ever since. She and her husband now run a furniture business (which is why she was in Greensboro, N.C., a furniture mecca). How's that for a life story?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home